Premium ads

26 Sept 2012

“Dad was the light of the family” …Titi Aboyade-Cole

Renowned London on-air personality-cum-show host and publisher of Social Diary magazine, Titi Aboyade Cole, is a rare gem. The dynamic mother of three is not leaving any stone unturned in ensuring that her new TV show remains on top by embracing societal values, showcasing talents, addressing pressing issues and most importantly, to inform and educate Nigerians in diaspora on current affairs, state of the nation, socio-economic and political issues affecting Africans.  In this interview with ISAAC OGUNTOYE, she speaks on the forthcoming Podium Recognition Awards, her family and other interesting issues.
Enjoy…

You just came back from London, what’s the motive behind your journey?
Well, I went there on holiday because all work and no play make TAC a dull lady. Meanwhile, it wasn’t just on holiday but a working holiday. I have some functions to cover for the TAC Show. You know there is Notting Hill Carnival 2012; I also went for Jimi Odumosu daughter’s wedding. Bashoru Dele Momodu was the chairman of the occasion. So, we went there to cover the ceremonial.
So, what was the experience like at this year Nottinghill Carnival?
It was the same old story. I had fun because I didn’t just stay with the Nigerians. I covered different activities of different countries like Jamaica and other countries too but I ended up in the Nigerian corner where we had Wande Cole, Sir Shina Peters, Alariwo, Mercy Aigbe and other great Nigerians.
Your TAC Show is always shown on Ben TV but you have started showing it on MITV, what informed the idea?
It is shown every Saturday morning and it is because MITV is a terrestrial TV station that also has contents on DSTV. Part of the motive is to reach out to a lot of people who are not necessarily DSTV subscribers.
Tell us about your forthcoming Podium Recognition Awards.
You are actually the first person we are discussing this with because we are actually looking at three months countdown which starts this week. So, you are privileged to be the first to get the information. Yes, we are holding the third edition of Podium Recognition Awards in Lagos again on  9th of December 2012. And it will also serve as end of the year/Christmas dance.
Three years consecutively without losing touches, what is actually the driving force?
First and foremost, it is the grace of God because the bible says except God builds a house, he who builds, labours in vain. I don’t think there is anything I’m particularly able to do without the help of God. God has been there for us. All we do is to plan it, we set a date and we leave the rest for God to do wonders.
The name Aboyade-Cole is a household name in the country; how were you able to register your own name within the society as one of the most respected?   
Number one, I think it’s the society and if you have a good name, I think that also helps. Like the popular saying that good name is better than gold and silver. I think I’m one of the very lucky ones whose parents, grandparents or great-grandparents have done good things and they left good legacy for me to be proudly say my name is Titi Aboyade-Cole. Rome they say wasn’t built in a day and in every success story, there must be challenges, what were your growing up days like?
The hardest thing that happened to me while growing up was the death of my father because my father died while I was very young. I was actually four years old when I lost my dad. Some people say you don’t remember your father at that tender age but I do. I actually remember who my father was. Maybe not too well but I remember him. I remembered that something died inside of me when my father died. My father was a light in our house during his days. He was a kind of person who made everybody happy in the house. It was like someone switched off the light when my father died.  It affected everybody within the family both financially and socially. Things changed, those that promised to be like father stopped coming to our house after we buried our father. 
Is there anything you can still remember about your father?    
Vaguely, my father was an inspiration for me. My father would always sing for me and I would be dancing. The only thing I remember is that, I used to attend Aunty Ayo Preparatory Nursery and Primary School and my father always put me on his neck because I wouldn’t want the sand to enter my shoe made by Bata and he would not drop me until we entered the classroom.
While growing up, what was your childhood ambition?
I have always wanted to become a lawyer.
Why did you end up in broadcasting?
I digressed after I had my daughter.   
                  

No comments: