Premium ads

9 Jul 2014

Student who hacked his dad to death speaks + Redeemers' VC reacts to reports

Tolani Ajayi, the 21-year-old undergraduate who killed and hacked father at their Canaanland Street home within the Redemption Camp, has explained why he did so. Speaking to journalists on Tuesday at the Eleweran Police Headquarters, Abeokuta, Tolani who’s been reported to be facing a disciplinary committee in the school over drug-related issue, before he committed the crime was reluctant to open up.

He said, “Go and read the statement I made to the police.”
But he later succumbed, after a measure of persistence, stressing that he regretted his action.
Expatiating on how the father provoked him, he said there was an argument between him and his father.
When asked whether he had been under the influence of drugs, the suspect confessed that he took drugs but denied being under the influence on the day of the murder.

Read his explanations below:

“The incident happened around 1 a.m. when the church would have been sleeping by then. It was anger that led me to this. There was an argument between us and I stood up to him. He beat me with a stick and bit me with his teeth repeatedly. Just the two of us were at home; my mother was in Abuja.”
Tolani said his father was the one that first went to the kitchen to get a wooden spoon which he used to hit him repeatedly. He confessed that he actually used a kitchen knife and cutlass to attack his father.
“I tried to defend myself, then he bit me on my shoulder and I got angry. I used normal small kitchen knife then I used a cutlass to attack him. I regret the action,” the young man said.
Tolani said that his family resides in Abuja while he lived at the Redeemed Church, RCCG, camp.
“My father came for a programme; then, my school was on break so I went to meet him. We were meant to go back to Abuja together then the incident happened and I am here,” he said.
He told journalists that contrary to previous reports, the altercation was not based on his church attendance.
“I didn’t miss church throughout this semester. I never missed church for once. It is not about the church.
There is no way Nigerians can help me. I am going to face my judgement. I am meant to pay for what I have done. It is not as if I am ready, it is something that is inevitable –
something that is going to happen; I am just waiting for it.”
The suspect, however, said his action may be “spiritual.” He said he regretted it and had sent emissaries to his widowed mother, begging for her forgiveness.
“My mother is still grieving. I have sent some people to talk to her that I am sorry. I want to give her time. I have talked to my sister. I have asked for forgiveness,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Vice-Chancellor, Redeemer’s University, Prof. Debo Adeyemo, says Tolani Ajayi was facing the institution’s Disciplinary Committee before the incident.
Commenting on the incident, Adeyemo told PUNCH Metro that the student had been facing the disciplinary committee before he committed the murder. His offences, however, were not revealed to PUNCH Metro “to avoid compounding the grief of the affected family.”
“We have committees who counsel and discipline erring students. We do not hesitate to take the necessary actions against any student found wanting after verifications. We also partner with organisations who help in rehabilitating those that are on drugs. A lot of them have been rehabilitated and become better persons in the society. I can tell you the youmg man has been under disciplinary committee before the incident but we cannot reveal his allegations for now for the sake of the family who are in pains.
“As part of our efforts, a programme, ‘Parenting of life’ was held last month to sensitize parents on to the best way to raise children. We train our students for a total personality in terms of humility and spirituality.
“Thirty per cent of the staff contribute regularly to assist students that are financially challenged,” the VC said.
He then cautioned the media to be more investigative in their reporting as the school authority was not contacted before the news broke.
“We frown on the way the media went into publication without verification from the school. It was by chance that the incident happened on campus. If the father does not have a house here, it would have happened outside the school because the school is on holiday,” he said.

No comments: